Friday, June 10, 2005

it took me twice to learn, it won't happen again

Since there is still snow on the trails up at the resort, the weekly Purg mountain bike bash moved to Hermosa Creek Trail - a world famous 21 mile trek through forest primeval. We started out easy and, like any group ride, the pace kept picking up. The wild cattle on the trail became no different than a rock, tree or any other obstacle you have to overcome. Get around and attack! I lost some ground as I wasn’t real into having a ragin’ mama cow plow me down nor did I like ‘taking the line’ through cow patties. My thoughts drifted to a mountain bike race on a ranch in Warda, TX...my friend EJ always boycotted the race because it was usually a mud fest and he was positive we’d all get giardia.




The Purg pack made it through the cattle and re-grouped at the river only to un-group on the mile descent. I practiced my skid turn and launched into the leaders spot. The guys were tired of getting dusted so we headed back. After the painful climb out, it was a race back to the barn. I was testing the corners by not braking into them, resulting in a fast acceleration out of them. It felt like catching a wave that was a little bigger and more powerful than you wished for. I was giggling and riding out of control. My crazy cornering kept me with the guy in the leaders jersey, Svetz, who narrowly beat me for the win last week due to my wrong turn at the finish line. I got around him on a short climb out of the last creek and was ready to take over the jersey when...i took the wrong turn! again! Heart break.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You take after your father!!

Friday, June 10, 2005 1:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home