Saturday, June 18, 2005

'lil Brig goes big

The opening day of the NORBA National in Deer Valley began with a trip to the SLC airport to pick up Rebecca G. In an attempt to 'stay relaxed' until our twilight race, I left the house in my PINK pj bottoms, stopped by the coffee shop and took the scenic route. RG called barking orders to hurry my hot a** up. Little did she know I was stalling in hopes that she'd have her bike already built by the time I got there. No such luck, the bike box arrived at the same time I did leaving 2 chicks to fumble through tools and parts in the airport parking lot. Even with the added pressure of passer-by-ers staring at RG's thong, we assembled the Bianchi in record time and headed out to the venue.

We strolled through the expo and to the start line to meet Brig, my first friend born in the 80s, who was racing his first ever semi-pro National. After we let him in on our racing secrets and made sure he was race ready (don't forget the lip stuff!), RG went back to the boys condo to sleep and I headed to the feed zone. I hung out with the hot dude in the cowboy hat and waited for the racers. The lead moto comes through...I jump up, ready for showtime! Rider 1, Rider 2 and there's Brig shakin' things up in the number 3 spot. He takes water and looks fresh. The waiting game continues and 40 minutes later I hear the moto...now there are 5 riders together, Brig is still in the mix. Feed zone duty is over so I head to the Shimano tent to get my bike worked on and wait for the finish. You can see the racers descending the switchbacks but they all look the same. The announcer lets us know there is a new racer leader...the winner comes through and the previous leader finishes second...'we've got one more spot to round out our podium and it's racer number 208....Brig Brandt!' Raise the roof and high 5's from the Shimano tent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home